Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Saturday, September 28, 2019

Jay Hall Carpenter, Sculptor


I was granted the opportunity to work with Jay Hall Carpenter for my internship and I found out about him in my figure sculpture class, after talking to Robert Copskey and Joe Greene, one of our sculpture models. They both mentioned Jay's name to me a few times and told me to consider reaching out to him since I was very interested in figurative sculpture. I found his contact information through his website and sent him an email with my resume and images from my portfolio to express my interest in doing an internship at his studio. 

A few days later, he responded asking me to come into the studio for an interview. Jay agreed to take me on as an intern. I found out that he was working on a very large monument. He was making a sculpture of three life-size women. He was sculpting the women responsible for the cure for Whooping Cough for the University of Michigan State.

When I began working for Jay Hall Carpenter, the Whooping Cough project was just beginning. I was able to be a part of the entire process from making the armature, carving the understructure out of foam, adding the clay, refining the clay work, and even making the molds of the sculpture. I was incredibly excited when I was able to work on some of the more important features of the figures including the arms and legs. By being a part of not only the creation of the sculpture, but the mold making. I realized how important mold making can be.

I found that through this internship I was able to acquire knowledge in how a professional artist’s studio works. Through experiencing the entire process of making a significant monument, I found myself believing more and more that it is possible to have a successful career as a sculptor. This internship has opened my eyes to a few more sculptural career paths and I’ve greatly appreciated my time with Jay Hall Carpenter.