Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Friday, September 27, 2019

Wide Angle Youth Media



This semester, I had the pleasure an honor of working at Wide Angle Youth Media as a Video Apprentice. Wide Angle Youth Media is a non-profit organization that teaches Baltimore youth media production and graphic design. I had the pleasure of working under David Sloan, Production Manager, where I got hands on experience in their production studio sublet that specializes in documentary. 

My primary responsibilities were to operate the camera while interviewing subjects, filming B-Roll, and editing footage. As I started, we acquired an account from the Maryland Arts Council to document artists all over the state. I have sent the last month and a half traveling to different counties to film for 12 hour days at time and edit the footage during the week. 

My time at Wide Angle has taught extensively about documentary work. I now know how to get the best angle, the best shots, and right lighting in interviews. I know to how to guide interview subjects in their answers to get the best quotes. I have become a much more efficient editor with the critique of my supervisors. 

Upon completion of my internship, I discovered I would like to work full time as an editor and hone my skills.