Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Friday, June 1, 2018

The Art Studio NY



I found about my internship through one of my father’s co-workers, who happens to know the owner, Rebecca Schweiger, of The Art Studio NY. I e-mailed Ms. Schweiger, who then gave me the contact information of the studio and sent my resume, a cover letter, and a link to my Behance. They invited me in for an interview shortly after. 

The Art Studio NY is a studio that offers art classes for all ages. Their goal is to get beginners feeling comfortable expressing themselves through art, and to be a resource for anyone who wants to make art. There are medium specific classes, teen classes, and children’s classes. For my internship, I was specifically involved with the children’s summer classes. My supervisor was Katiri Helmeid, who is a studio coordinator and adult and children’s art teacher. I was responsible for setting up the studio for the day’s activities, helping plan out daily projects, working hands-on with students, and cleaning the studio at the end of the day. Every so often, I would also be in charge of teaching a project myself. I was involved in projects that taught children about Van Gogh, Monet, O’Keefe, Homer, pointillism, and others. We discussed use of acrylic paint, watercolor, palette knives, pastels, and palette knives. 

I’m most proud of being able to get kids excited about art, of teaching them new ways to experiment and express themselves, and of making connections with so many interesting kids. My biggest take-away was that I actually do enjoy teaching. The most important thing I learned was how to be comfortable in a work environment that required near constant socializing. My interpersonal skills have greatly increased and I feel much more comfortable entering a work environment. I’ve also learned how to lead a room of students and command their attention. Beginning my internship, I wasn’t sure how I would like teaching or working so closely with students, but I’ve found both to be gratifying experiences. This opens up a whole new set of doors career-wise for me.