Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Two Bolts Studios


My name is Jani Hileman, a senior Ceramics major at MICA. During this summer I was an intern at Two Bolts Studios, a local Baltimore fabrication shop run by Sam Acuff. Mr. Acuff is the founder of Two Bolts studios, a recent MICA Alumni, and winner of the MICA Start/Up grant for in 2016. At Two Bolts I’ve had the opportunity to learn new fabrication skills with metal and wood, including TIG Welding, milling and processing of reclaimed wood, product design and client relations. 



I was able to participate in all projects Two Bolts worked on this summer, including a new security desk and wall paneling for MICA’s Dolphin building, a set of 6 reclaimed pine chairs, and all new design for a steel coffee table. I’ve loved the experiences I’ve had working with the reclaimed material from local buildings, reshaping them into a new usable form. Working this summer at Two Bolts Studios has really helped me have a better understanding of what goes into running a small business, from the actual making process to coordinating with clients, making supply runs, figuring out the intricacies of the product design and on the fly problem solving. I’ve been exposed to new ways of creating, and spoken with people who are making their living through marketing their creative skills. 

Even though I work in different mediums while at MICA, this internship was invaluable in helping me trust myself and progress as a maker. I’ve also had the opportunity to make connections with other makers and local companies.