Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Monday, September 18, 2017

Transistor Studios


My name is Siena Allison and I am a rising senior illustration major, completing an animation concentration. This summer, I had the pleasure of being the Illustration / Animation / Design Intern for Transistor Studios, a company based in Brooklyn, New York. Transistor is an award-winning creative collective that specializes in producing broadcast commercials, and engaging long form content. I came across Transistor when googling “animation studios in New York” -- I read positive reviews regarding the studio as a work environment and enjoyed their body of work, so sent an email concerning summer internship opportunities, and they got back pretty much instantly! They were pretty excited to begin the interview process with me, and then since all went well, even more so to offer me a position.

My direct supervisor was Aaron Baumle, however, I often worked with Lyejm Lewis as well -- both were responsible for art direction, and Lyejm did a lot of 2D and 3D design. I was initially brought on to be just an illustrator and animator, but since I have experience with other skillsets as well, I ended up becoming a bit of a generalist and helped with essentially every project that came through Transistors’ doors. I did 2D animation and illustration such as: backgrounds and various assets, storyboards, character design and exploration, pitch work. I also did 3D modeling and animation, texturing, camera rendering, and after effects compositing. It was a lot of work, but it was exciting to learn the ins and outs of production, and the standard “studio pipeline” workflow. I met a lot of really great freelancers through Transistor, and they all were eager to give me their own bits of advice that they wish they knew when they were my age.


Through this internship, I’ve further familiarized myself with programs and techniques that I will be utilizing in my upcoming senior thesis, made new friends and connections, and found a city that I really feel drawn to, and want to live and work in. I’m incredibly thankful for the opportunity, and I’m beyond excited for the coming years!