Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Friday, October 5, 2012

Discovery Communications- Digital Media Design



For the first few weeks at Discovery Communications,  I was getting set up with all the programs. I was given a MAC desktop computer to work on in a cubicle, set up with a phone and all programs needed to design (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator). They asked me what I needed and I told them. It was all provided. If there were any problems, all I had to do was call their global tech support which is also located in the same building. I then became acquainted with the discovery brand and style guides.

I studied the guides before working on a variety of projects.  Mostly I did web banners and show advertisements, a few typographical edits on some social media designs, and two logos for Shark Week and Bering Sea Gold,  branded for France.  I also worked independently on information graphics for an upcoming show called "One Car Too Far", which will be used as an extra social media graphic in the promotion of the show.


Also, I attended global conference calls along with team meetings. This is where we discussed some upcoming projects and what needs to be done, to help keep people on task and up to speed.

-Candace Urquiza '13 Graphic Design