Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Social Impact Studios



One of my closest friends from home, Jonah, interned at Social Impact Studios (formerly known
as Design for Social Impact) in Philadelphia for two summers in a row. He always seemed to have a good experience with the organization, and I was interested in the work that they do.  Jonah put in a good word for me, and I sent Ennis, the founder and director of the studio, my resume, cover letter, and work samples. Soon enough, I became their newest Summer intern. Social Impact Studios’ slogan is “We Communicate Good.” Thus, they use Graphic Design and clear, meaningful language to create identities and other materials for non-profit and for-profit organizations. Ennis and James were both my supervisors. I primarily worked with James, the creative director until he left at the end of July.

I was responsible for editing drafts of design work, creating different formats of what was already created, for example turning a brochure into a postcard or poster, organizing the archives of design work that the organization has completed over the past twenty years, and completing tasks around the office. In addition, I helped hang a gallery show for the traveling Posters for the People exhibition that Social Impact Studios presents, and I accompanied them to Social Media workshops that Ennis and the team also provide to other organizations in the area. I am most proud of the logos that I designed, because I had never designed logos before, and they trusted me to create some ideas for Public Interest Relations Group. 

Most importantly, I was able to see what a real-world Graphic Design studio is like and how they function. It was very integral that I was actually in the office completing my tasks, because even if I wasn’t doing the most exciting work, I was still seeing Ennis and James interact with clients and run a successful organization. This internship has given me an idea of what I want when I graduate, as I know that I don’t necessarily want to design for small theatre companies and similar organizations, and I want to be in a more design/art focused place, but also work closely with the community.

-Marcy Gooberman '14, Graphic Design