Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Tuesday, October 24, 2023

J4D

The place where I conducted the internship was a small company called J4D. Like other advertising companies, J4D was a company that designed advertisements for clients' specific needs or requests. We worked together as a team with one set of values called “We make big waves.” This means that the advertisements we make cause big waves and make a difference in the world.

My direct supervisor was the CEO of J4D. He provided me with enough opportunities to learn the overall company flow and work so that I could adapt well to the company, and those efforts made me able to complete a successful internship thanks to him. During the internship, as a member of the design team, I participated in the process of designing and producing advertisements for various domestic and foreign client companies such as Nike, Porsche, Yuserin, Goose Island, and Innisfree. The company was separated into a planning team and a production team but often the work was carried out as one team. I worked on the production team, and I participated in everything from the idea process to filming and editing the finished advertisement.

The proudest time during the internship was when my ideas and the videos I edited were shown to the public through various media such as TV, YouTube, and movie theaters. No matter how good the idea was while producing the advertisement, there were times when the idea had to be re-invented according to the client's requirements, and many modifications had to be made during the production process and even after the production. These processes were endless and painful, but the satisfaction of seeing them in various media after production made me forget those times.

Through this internship, I learned that communication is very important. And of course, I've learned that you have to have creative thinking, you have to have the ability to handle the tools that can create it, but communication has to take precedence over all of this. The process of creating advertisements is a cycle of communicating with clients, team members, and supervisors. If one of these doesn't work out well, a project won't be completed. I thought creative ideas were the most important thing for designers, but this internship gave me a new perspective on my job as a designer.