Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Monday, May 14, 2018

Mark Mobley Architecture



Currently a rising senior majoring in architectural design, I encountered my internship opportunity through professor of architectural design, Katie O’Meara, who happened to have close connections with designers around the Baltimore area. One of said designers is Mark Mobley--principal of Mark Mobley Architecture in Roland Park. I was subsequently introduced to Mobley though an email conversation initiated by O’Meara. The interview was held shortly soon after he viewed my portfolio resulting in the successful acquisition of my internship position.

Mark Mobley Architecture is a full-time service firm that specializes in residential renovations, additions, and complete customization. The majority of projects are located within the very area of the office--Roland Park. Many of these residential projects live up to a certain theme and standard which is dependent upon building context. These homes possess an array unique and elegant qualities. What I find so appealing about the firm’s fixation over quality homes is that they focus on the true craft of construction as opposed to contemporary developments which are typically bland.


My supervisor, Mark, deals with all client related work, financial work, and executive design decision making. We work closely with each other primarily due to the fact that the firm is comprised of just a few people. My responsibilities include site documentation, CAD drawings, concept sketches, and general office maintenance. As of this moment, I have been involved with nine projects. The ability to function in a small office exposed me to all the phases of a project which I found to be greatly beneficial. Furthermore, this granted me greater involvement with the design phase; my word and work have managed to find themselves in the calls made my Mark. The biggest take-away from this opportunity is gaining insight on the phases of a realized architectural project. I have never witnessed the full progression, from a sketch to a building, so to be given a variety of responsibilities along the way has not only refined my skill set but has also added more skills under my belt. These new skills include improved CAD efficiency, articulation of ideas, construction methodology, and improved hand drafting technique.

My internship has clarified my career goals by providing me with the confidence and reassurance that I had hoped to expect prior to starting. I felt as though I completed my internship with a sophisticated design vocabulary knowing that I am more multifaceted. With these positive outcomes, I would say it is appropriate for me to assume that I am on the correct career path. As for the most rewarding part of my internship, it brings tremendous pride knowing that my work makes a significant contribution to projects that will eventually be constructed. Virtually every architect who I spoke with over the past few years told me that the most satisfying part of design is realizing the design itself--to understand how the building will make its final appearance and serve the client. With that in mind, I wish to retain my perseverance on the direction I am now on and keep exceeding my personal expectations.