Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Friday, October 6, 2023

Baremetalco


My four week internship at Baremetalco was exciting and fulfilling. I wanted to further build on my metalworking skills I learned at MICA, so over the summer I wanted to work at a metal shop. Since I was heading back home to Singapore, I decided to reach out to Baremetalco through social media and was accepted as their first intern. Baremetalco is one of the few companies in Singapore specializing in sheet metal fabrication. The company fabricates a variety of steel, stainless steel, and aluminum products such as railings and postal boxes. They also often fabricate metal sculptures for local artists in Singapore.


At Baremetalco, I worked directly with the second-generation owner of the company. They are currently rebranding the company and expanding its focus from fabrication to design and innovation. As it is difficult to sustain the business solely based on manufacturing products, he is attempting to move up the value chain to position Baremetalco as a company that designs and custom-makes high quality metal products.


As part of his push towards design and customized fabrication, my supervisor tasked me with 3D modeling and rendering customized products for clients. During my stint there, I modeled products such as a stool, low table and even a cover for a coffee machine. On top of these, my supervisor also gave me creative freedom to come up with my own artwork/product to be included in the company's showroom.


Leveraging this opportunity, I created an artwork Stool. Stool is a steel replica of 3V's PS703 plastic stools. The ubiquitous red plastic stool is manufactured in Malaysia and then exported to Singapore where it is regarded as a cheap, disposable item easily found in coffee shops and public housing void decks. Stool seeks to transform the ubiquitous item and celebrate its presence in the heartlands of Singapore.



Through making Stool, I experienced the entire process of fabricating metal products from ideation of manufacturing. I have come to beIer appreciate the fabrication industry and the challenges and opportunities fabricators face.


Moving forward, while I do not foresee myself working full-time in the metal fabrication industry, I have made many new friends and I am able to confidently fabricate metal sculptures in the future as part of my practice.