Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Friday, September 29, 2023

Tommy Roberts, Artist



This summer I interned for a painter named Tommy Roberts located here in Baltimore at the Bromo Seltzer Arts Tower. 
I found out about this internship opportunity through one of my fellow peers at MICA. This was a one on one setup so Tommy gave me instructions and directions the entire time on what was expected of me and what I was supposed to do. 





As Tommy’s intern, my tasks included wiring, framing, and hanging canvases all around his studio and outside for display. I also had to create my own type of artwork everyday when I would come in. Lastly I would help Tommy with any little small favors that he may have needed. I am most proud of the works that I created while there, through Tommy's critique, feedback, and lessons. I elevated my artwork to an unbelievable level through the summer. 


My biggest takeaway from this experience was that if I truly want to become a self-sufficient artist then I have to be consistent and show up everyday for my craft. I have to be disciplined to work hard even when I don’t feel like it sometimes.This internship has helped clarify what steps I need to be taking as I return to school and beyond in order to make my career a reality.










Photos courtesy of Andrew Copeland