Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Monday, October 29, 2018

Snowball Pictures - Beijing, China


My name is Lufei Xiao and I’m a Senior Film & Video major. I found this internship from my friend who own a small production company in my hometown, he worked with Snowball Pictures for a short film project before, so he introduced me to them.

Snowball Pictures is a video production company that produce video works including student shorts, commercials and some website films, they are expert in cinematography particularly. My direct supervisor is Qingqing Liu who is the founder of Snowball Pictures, but when I got here he has to go to Shanghai for another project so I was assisting another director.



I was involved in several project, two commercials and one student short. I worked as director assistant I do whatever the director told me to do, included writing script, project docking, gaffer on set, etc.

I'm most proud of my ability to teamwork with others. I learned the most when things don’t go well. I think they are all important experience, like you have to play to the score with your clients because they change a lot. And communicate well in every section because one small misunderstanding may leads to bigger mistake later.

I’ve acquired some new skills like docking with different department and tell them what we need for this project, I learned how to shoot for post, how to light a scene, how to solve things when things went off the plan, and teamwork. It helped me realized I might not want to work in a commercial production company in the future.