Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Monday, October 29, 2018

Ziger/Snead


I was recommended for the position at Ziger/Snead by my TA from a class I took on the fall semester of my sophomore year. He was graduating and was asked to find someone to take his place so he recommended me for it. I secured it by working on creating a portfolio and a resume that showed my potential and by interviewing with the partners and the studio manager at Ziger/Snead.

Ziger/ Snead is an architecture firm that is based in Baltimore. They are very much committed to working specifically in the area of Baltimore and it’s surroundings . They work in a variety of residential, institutional and historic projects. The team is composed of 18 people. They create design that is tailored to the client and it is never a repetitive or robotic design process. Every project is different.

In my internship my direct supervisor is Nicole Lamont and she is the studio manager. She manages everything in the office and maintains everything flowing smoothly. I had some set responsibilities like answering the phone, welcoming clients, sending out invoices and checks. And managing other aspects such as the webpage, social media, office records, uploading projects to Architizer. Some other tasks that I got to do was work in some renderings and I got to learn some photoshop skills. I got to work on some specs and attend a couple of meeting and observe the construction process of some projects. Finally in the time that I had free I got to take the the initiative and create a plan to renovate the materials library in the office and present it to the partners.

I am very proud of the proposal I put together for the renovation of the materials library. I worked on finding the materials, designing different things for the renovation such as tags and shelf dividers and creating a budget. I was able to set up a meeting with the partners at the firm and they were really happy with the proposal I put together. The are in the process of revising and approving it.
I have learned and grown a lot this summer. I have become more confident in myself, I feel like I am better at communicating now and I am not intimidated in the way I used to be by people. I have learned to multitask and to be on top of things. Most of all I have learned that taking an initiative pays off.

I have learned how to present myself in a professional setting, have developed a professional vocabulary. I have also learned a lot about how the an architectural office functions.
This has helped me clarify my goals because I realized that there isn’t one path that is right there are many different paths. Also the architectural field is broad and it is possible to find the type of work that I am interested in creating.