Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Thursday, October 25, 2018

Marie Claire Magazine


My name is Sara Bannon, and I am a junior Graphic Design major, with a concentration in Book Arts and Design. During the summer of 2017, I was given the opportunity of an internship in the Art and Design Department of Marie Claire Magazine, a women’s life and culture magazine within Hearst Publishers’ print division. Being drawn to fast paced, rapidly evolving content-based workplaces as a good fit for myself and my professional goals. Print magazines have always been a source of inspiration for me, as I find them excellent sources for both old and new material that I use to supplement my work often.


After speaking to the head of my department, Brockett Horne, I emailed several companies of this kind in search for internships. I was lucky enough to be put in contact with a past intern of the magazine. It was through her that I connected with the Art Assistant, Katrina Machado. I sent in my resume and cover letter to her, along with my portfolio website, and was lucky enough to be granted the position three days later.

I started my internship at the end of May and was a part of the excellent team at Marie Claire until mid-August. My core commitment while at the magazine was to update and maintain “The Wall,” which is used by all departments to keep track of the progress of the magazine. Being in charge of this every day was a learning experience, as it put me right in the middle of the process of developing and publishing a monthly cycle editorial. I communicated daily with different sections of the magazine and managed the uploading and processing of images. It was with the Photo Research department that I was also given the duty of processing imagery for the publication, as well as coordinated the editing and organization of content. This was an excellent exercise in the large involvement of media servers and necessary organizational systems that run and support large publications.

In between the carrying out of these daily tasks, my supervisors would give me mock layouts to design. We would then go over them as a group, and they would give me advice on the practice of creating quickly and efficiently in the style of Marie Claire. This exercise was extremely beneficial.

My summer helped me figure out the direction that I wish to go with my practice, as well as figure out what kind of team and organization I would like to be a part of while doing so. These are things that I have brought to my work, and my classroom environment back at MICA.