Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Monday, April 2, 2018

Underground Tree Project

My name is Hongshan Yan. I worked for Underground Tree Projects as a graphic design intern during the summer of 2016. As I planned to have a graphic designer job as an illustrator, I was looking for a graphic design internship in which I could have chances of making illustrations. I found Dawn Scales and her Underground Tree Projects on MICA Network. They are a small team that provides graphic design, web design, and marketing services for people. My supervisor Dawn Scales is the CEO of this small company, and she established the Underground Tree Projects six years ago. I looked through her website and enjoyed how she incorporated illustrations in her graphic design work, and I felt that her group would fit my career goal. I contacted Ms. Scales, and after we had an interview, she gave me a small project to test my ability and professionalism. She was satisfied with my work and I was given the chance to work with her as an intern.

During my internship, I was responsible for designing logos, fliers, banners, and other design products for my supervisor’s clients. The clients I worked for included Funky & Fabulous Flea Market, Reeferella store, Cap City Hydroponic, Piassa Restaurant, Field of Qi Acupuncture Clinic, and Thyme 4 Green. I also had chances to communicate with clients on phone or in person. I used to be nervous when talking to people, especially through phone calls. My experiences in this internship helped me to be more confident and professional in speaking with clients. I also had various other experiences, including assisting art classes for children, advertising the company in a flea market, and assisting a live painting in an art social event.

My supervisor said I was a good illustrator and graphic designer, and I had been very timely on the projects. I have learned a lot during this internship, and I have learned how to be a better designer. I also have a clearer idea on what kind of job I really want to do as a designer and illustrator, and what I should pay attention to when looking for my next internship or job.