Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Friday, March 30, 2018

EC Designs

I am Arthur Futernik, a sophomore at Maryland Institute College of Art. During the summer of 2016 I interned for an industry design company called EC Designs. I was told about EC Designs through a family friend that mentioned my name to lead designer, Eric Cera. After doing a bit of research I noticed Eric worked for many reputable clients such as MTV, Time Inc, and ABC, among others. Eric was impressed by my website and I reached out to him to get further details.

In the past I have always wanted to work in the entertainment industry. Interning for EC Designs would give me a great head-start and insight to this field of work. When the summer started, Eric and I met in person and went over what I intended to do with the company. After a long conversation about my past experience, future goals, and the work load I would be doing I was accepted as an intern!


This internship provided an in-depth look into the field of industry design, an occupation that is very in line with my future aspirations. During the three months of my internship, we mainly built custom props, sets, and environments for big name corporations, and we also commuted to Manhattan to install them. We set up many different projects for clients such as Lancome, Michele Watches, and Time Inc., out of many others. Though the builds were very physically demanding, it helped me become familiar with various power tools and heavy machinery that we had to use in the workshop. My favorite days were when I had to commute to the city by myself. It was always a little nerve wracking getting there and back on time which made it a bit fun, as well as meeting new people who are in the entertainment industry. Sometimes I would strike up a conversation with someone and ask them how they like working in this field, and they would always have a pleasant answer, which is very reassuring. This internship was a good way for me to start learning and figuring out what I want to do as a career in the future.

I am happy I interned with EC Designs this early into college because it really helped me decide on what I want to pursue in the future as well as give me a few new additions to my portfolio.