Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Monday, March 26, 2018

Dasan Education

 My name is Syehyun Lee (Sean) and
I am a rising junior Film and Video major in Maryland Institute College of Art. During the summer of 2016, I was a Video and Marketing department intern for Dasan Education, a company based in Seoul (Gangnam), Republic of Korea (South Korea). When I was a high school student,
I went to Dasan Education Institute to
study for the SAT and TOEFL for the American University, so I had always wanted to work at Dasan company when I get old enough to work, and summer 2016 was the time!

What Dasan company does in South Korea is launch decent SAT, ACT and TOEFL Academy (Institute) sites in large cities in Korea. They also have two international middle and high schools in Seoul, South Korea. I can say that all the huge companies have video departments for recording something. In Dasan Education Company, they need to record all the lessons of SAT, ACT, TOFEL, and AP subjects for merchandizing; they sell to students who really want to study outside of Korea but do not know what to do. 

So, what I did in Dasan was to record all the lessons and organize their files. Also, I saved all the files in USB for their merchandizing. In Dasan Education company, as I have written above, it was quite simple work. I went to the office Monday through Friday at 7:55am and got ready for the recording of lessons in the academy. I recorded SAT lessons on every Monday and Wednesday, ACT lessons on every Tuesday and Thursday, and on Friday, I recorded TOEFL lessons and also organized all of the week’s recorded files. Most important was my duty on every last Friday of the month: I needed to re-organize all of the recorded files and save them to USB for the final product sold to students.


My Dasan Education intern experience included a lot of helpful learning. I learned many things in Dasan because there were many employees in the company who really wanted to help me learn about the real world. In particular, my direct supervisor, Manager Derek Kim, and my Assistant Manager, Jin Heo, gave me a lot of tips about surviving in the real world and at a company. This internship was a great way for me to start figuring out what I really want to do in my field, even if it was just a simple role in the Dasan Education Company. I also left with many new additions to my own resume.


I am happy that I planned this internship at the start of my junior year, before I became fully immersed in my Film and Video major studies. It really helped me to more clearly define my goals and focus for my remaining junior and senior years at MICA.