Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Friday, March 23, 2018

Chesapeake Shakespeare Company

My name is Emma Rubini, and I am going into my senior year as an Illustration major. In summer 2016, I interned in the costume department at the Chesapeake Shakespeare Company (CSC). The world of theatre is one that has interested me since I was a child, but I had gotten out of it since starting college, and it was something I really missed. After becoming interested in costumes as a hobby, I took the costume design class here at MICA in fall of 2014, and it was from the professor of that class that I heard about CSC. I emailed the costume director, Kristina Lambdin. She got back to me quickly, and after a short back-and-forth, she accepted my internship request. She is also the one who became my direct supervisor. She is in charge of designing costumes for new shows (sometimes with a co-designer) as well as maintaining the costume shop and creating new costumes.

The Chesapeake Shakespeare Company is a theatre company here in Baltimore, and I was drawn to them because of their dedication to the education of the community, and their creative spirit.  While working there, I acted as Kristina’s assistant, sometimes working in conjunction with other hired seamstresses. 

During the time I worked, the company put on the play The Three Musketeers, and I helped with modifying existing costumes as well as cleaning and repairing costumes that were damaged during the show. I assisted with organizing and repairing the costumes and returning them to their correct places in the stock. We followed a similar process for the next show, Anne of a Thousand Days.



I am very happy with my time at the Chesapeake Shakespeare Company. I think what I am most proud of is the fact that my work will be seen by so many people. Even though my contributions weren’t large or grandiose, even the small feeling of pride I get thinking about that tells me that I am on the right path. I am very interested in the design and production of costumes and fashion, particularly in the world of theatre, and I think the Chesapeake Shakespeare Company has been the perfect place to start.