Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Monday, October 2, 2017

Ilmatic

My name is Tian Yu and I am in Graphic Design MFA major. During the summer of 2016, I interned at Mediabrigade and Ilmatic, which are wearable technology startups run by one founder. The companies are based in downtown San Francisco, California. I had always wanted to work on the west coast, so I spent a great time during there this summer. Before I got this internship, my current supervisor sent me two assignments and asked me to send them back in a short time, the purpose of these assignments is to test me if I have the ability to quick think and design things. After I made the assignments quickly for him, I got the chance of interview. He introduced his startup to me, and asked me about my goal of the internship during the interview. After that, they sent me a response, asking for my resume, my newest design work, and few questions about myself. After a few email exchanges and submitting the required design work, I finally got my letter of acceptance, I was very excited for moving to the west coast, and spend the whole summer in San Francisco. I was accepted to be a graphic design intern at Mediabrigade and Ilmatic for 3 months in the
summer 2016.

This experience included a lot of challenging daily tasks, I researched, organized the documents, designed personas, and I even went to Apple store to interview with the customers, and asked them if they can answer a questionnaire for me. I was very embarrassed at first, but I  made it. Every day was different and exciting experience that I have learned a lot. After first month, I started to design the branding for my company, it was hard at first, because I have to design a new logo concept everyday, I have kept this pattern for two weeks, and I was so excited that I finally turned out a great logo. Working with people in Mediabrigade let me understand that how to communicate with my client is super important, especially in startups. This internship experience is good way for me to get to know more about startups, and help me to figure out what kind of company I want to attend in the future after I graduate. I also got a new design piece for my own portfolio. I am so glad I had this internship experience that I will cherish in the future always.