Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Monday, September 25, 2017

M Studio

My name is Sophie Fisher and I am a Junior Illustration major with a Book Arts concentration. This summer I was a design intern for a graphic design and public relations agency, M Studio, based in Asbury Park, a town known for its music and arts culture on the Jersey shore. I was searching locally for a creative work opportunity for the summer since I live in Asbury Park, and I quickly found and was captivated by the logos, branding and signage created by M Studio for local businesses I was familiar with, as well as their national work with brands such as Liquitex, Winsor Newton and many more. I had discovered a passion for graphic design and typography back in high school in my role as the art editor for the school’s newspaper and found that this interest would align with the design work done at M Studio.


I sent M Studio an email with a letter of inquiry containing a link to my website. The creative director, Jenna Zilincar, responded quickly. She was enthusiastic about my work and it just so happened that she is a MICA alumni, having graduated in 2002. We set up a phone interview for the next day, and after our discussion, I was accepted for the internship. My time at M Studio has been an invaluable experience. I attended morning meetings, met with clients, and worked on a variety of projects. This included laying out business cards, designing T-shirts, advertisements, and attending a photo and video shoot. I am most proud of a series of illustrations I created that will be used in the rebranding for one of their clients restaurants. I was able to see how a professional design studio operates on a day to day basis while working on deadline based projects for clients, and honing my skills in typography and design. I worked with an incredible team of professionals and observed the creative process of their  approach to initiating ideas and concepts into finalization.

This internship has given me insight into potential opportunities and directions there might be for me in knowing how I might apply my skills as an artist in the professional world.