Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Baltimore Magazine

My name is Emily Hunter and I am a senior Illustration major. During Fall of 2015, I was an Editorial/Art Intern at Baltimore Magazine. I had always wanted to see what it’s like to work at a publication, as my previous internship was more of an experience of working with comics. Towards the end of Spring Semester of my junior year, I had been emailing and applying to internships constantly. After consulting with Career Development, I established a contact at the magazine (Stephanie Shafer) who is the Editorial Design Assistant at Baltimore Magazine. After checking out her website, I sent as email asking about a possible internship. She later gave me Amanda White-Iseli’s information (the magazine’s art director), and I was able to snag an interview with her over the summer.

The internship itself wasn’t as stressful as I thought it would be, but I still learned a lot about magazine layout and typography which are very important things to know as an illustrator planning on going into editorial work. I created numerous mood boards for new issues, as well as worked on my own feature for my own portfolio. Towards the end of the internship I was presented with an awesome opportunity to do spot illustrations for the January issue of the magazine, in which my own illustrations will be published for the first time ever! Overall, I’m really happy with the outcome of this internship as it helped me clarify that I really enjoy editorial work.