Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Friday, September 11, 2015

Seventeen Magazine

My name is Shawn Atueyi and I’m a senior photography major, I was a photo Bookings Intern at Seventeen Magazine, A Teen/fashion publication based in New York for the fall 2014 semester. Fashion and commercial photography has always been my interest and it has been my dream for my photographs to be displayed in magazines as well to work for magazines. I began a web search looking for photo internships at various magazine publications and than I saw a Seventeen magazine posting looking for interns for the fall 2014 semester. I sent my cover letter, resume and link to my portfolio, to Guillermo Perez and he responded shortly asking if he could give me a phone interview. I accepted and after the interview, he gave me a task to complete to make sure I was right for the position. Then Voila! I received an email from Guillermo offering me the photo bookings intern position of Fall 2014 semester.

I worked closely with Guillermo Perez, the photo bookings editor at Seventeen, he’s in charge of casting models, and “Real Girls” you see in the magazine, casting makeup artist, hairstylists, nail techs, and etc., for photo shoots. My tasks are conducting weekly open castings, manage and put together call sheets, update model files, and update databases and files. I’m really am proud of myself to actually experience this opportunity. Especially since I live in Maryland and having to commute every week was definitely a task but having a positive attitude and knowing that all of of this will be worth it at the end really helped! I learn so much being at seventeen, and just being there really gave myself validation about my career goals. After talking to Guillermo, the Photo editor and the Photo Assistant really helped me clarify my thoughts in the next steps I need to take to pursue my career.