Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Saturday, September 26, 2015

National Public Radio (NPR)





My name is Estelle Kline and I am a senior Photography major and Graphic Design concentrator. This fall I interned in the newsroom of 88.1 WYPR Baltimore’s NPR News Station. National Public Radio is non profit media organization with headquarters based in Washington D. C and 900 member stations across the country. I learned of this internship by checking their website constantly for openings. I have been a listener of WYPR for the past four years and securing this position was a dream come true. As a newsroom intern I researched and pitched relevant Maryland news topics that I would then write for the web. During my research I would also assist in the audio production of the show Inside Maryland Politics. On Election Day I was able to go into the field and interview voters and then spend the remainder of the day in the studio reporting numbers our live coverage of the race. Being able to work in a position involving news and politics has been exhilarating. My direct supervisor was Bret Jaspers the producer for Inside Maryland Politics and a jack of all trades around the newsroom. He would be my go to for story pitches and to check in on my writing progress. When sent out on a story I would also take photo documentation for the web story. This internship has set me up with the tools to continue in a career field involving public radio and audio production. My biggest take away was advice given to me by one of the politics reporters, “As long as you have an ability to write and you’re a hard worker, you can make it in journalism”.