Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Seidenfaden Design Copenhagen


My name is Virginia Yu. I’m a senior environmental design major with a graphic design concentration. During the summer before my senior year, I interned at Seidenfaden Design Copenhagen. It all started when I left in January 2013 to study abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark. After a month of living in Denmark, I fell in love with the country and I knew I wanted to extend my stay. That’s when the idea of an internship came to mind. The school I studied at was the Danish Institute for Study Abroad. They had a website that specialized in finding internships all around the world, it was called www.discareergate.dk . After a month of searching and scheduling interviews, I was hired by Seidenfaden Design Copenhagen as a graphic design intern. 

I worked under the company’s graphic designer, Wakana Sakihama. Seidenfaden Design Copenhagen is an international design studio that specializes in industrial design and graphic design. They focus mostly on household and lifestyle products as well as packaging and branding. I was surprised at how much freedom and control the company gave me. I thought I wouldn’t have as much involvement as an intern but it turns out they were willing to completely let me be in charge of certain assignments. One project for instance, was Magasin. Magasin is a huge mall chain in Denmark. It can be compared to Printemps or Galeries Lafayette in France. Magasin plans on creating a convenience food line. They plan on selling sandwiches, salads and any other type of quick to go foods. I was in charge of designing the packaging for these types of food. Another project I did was recreating the packaging for “Little Sun” which is a rechargeable sun lamp designed by Olafur Eliasson. These lamps are mostly used in Africa and other various third world countries where light is limited. Aside from packaging, I worked on branding projects as well such as Ishuset Christianshavn, an ice cream shop that recently opened in the summer. I worked with Wakana on the logos, interior signs and the color scheme for the shop. I think out of all the projects, I would say the packaging ones were the ones I was most proud of. Those were the most challenging but at the final outcome I was pleased with what I had come up with. My biggest take-away from this experience was learning about office etiquette, how to present myself and my work, how to interact with clients as well as improving my skills in the adobe suite. I think the most important thing I learned is that there will be times you will screw up or you will have to clean up someone’s mess, but at the end of the day, if you’re pursuing something you love doing, those hours at work won’t seem so long after all. This internship has definitely clarified a lot for me. Aside from wanting to pursue a career in graphic design, I want to relocate to Denmark for a few years after graduation. My internship has inspired me to take more graphic design classes, meeting a concentration’s requirements is merely not enough.