Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Monday, October 2, 2017

Everyman Theatre


My name is Kelsey Schneider and I’m a Senior General Fine arts Major with a Gender Studies Minor. Over the summer of 2013, I was the Marketing Intern at Everyman Theatre in Baltimore, Maryland. Everyman Theatre is a professional theatre with a resident cast of actors from the Baltimore and D.C. area whose goal is to provide affordable, high quality theatre to all. I first became aware of Everyman because I lived near its old location, and then had it recommended to me by someone who works in the Box Office. I applied online and received a call from the Education Director, Marcus Kyd and set up interviews with the Development Department, the Managing Director, Production and finally with the Marketing Department, who offered me the position then. I worked under the Marketing Director Jon Waller and the Marketing and Press Manager Laura Weiss and kept weekly meeting with Marcus to discuss how the internship was going.


I was involved in many projects, including research about Experiential Tourism, prepared press kits, program inserts and subscriber ticket mailings, attended weekly staff meetings, took pictures at special events, assisted the Box Office with reseating patrons for the 2013-­‐14 season, archived press clippings, designed a program for the High School Summer Acting Intensive’s final performance and researched ways for Everyman to create ties with local colleges and encourage students to attend. I’m most proud of the program, because it encouraged the students of the intensive, and the effort to connect Everyman with MICA and other local schools, because I want to connect more people my age with the performing arts.

This experience has been wonderful and the biggest takeaway for me is the connections I have made with the people at Everyman. One important thing I learned is that involvement and connections within the theatre community are very valuable and that there is no one right path to a career in theatre. This experience has assured me that I definitely want to work in theatre, and that it is possible for me to do so.