Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Maryland Department of Planning


My name is Sol Moon, and I am a Senior Graphic Design Major with a Book Arts Concentration. Over the Spring of 2013, I interned at Maryland Department of Planning (MDP) under the Communications unit. I found the internship on the MICAnetwork page, and submitted my resume, cover letter, and a PDF portfolio samples to the HR person listed in the job posting. I had an on-site interview with the Personnel Director, the Public Information Officer, and the graphic designer, and I received an email shortly after the interview saying that I was hired for the internship position.


MDP provides guidance, analysis, outreach and support to ensure that all of the State’s natural resources, built environment and public assets are preserved and protected as smart and sustainable growth goals are attained. I was the first graphic design intern from MICA, and I mainly worked with the Public Information Officer and a full-time graphic designer who graduated from MICA in the 70s. As a design intern, I worked on various projects such as infographic, publications, banners, logo, and advertisement. It was very important to understand the clients (public, local government, and internal staff), and communicate with staff members from various working units. I had lots of freedom in decision making and in designing process.



Throughout my internship, I not only created few portfolio pieces, but also learned a lot about time management and communication skills. Staff members treated me as a valuable team member and they were always eager to help. Being in a working environment where I feel welcomed and needed encouraged me to create better work. This internship was a great opportunity for me to practice my design skills on real projects, and definitely helped me improve communicating with various clients more effectively. Overall, I became more confident about problem-solving, communication, and design skills.