Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Monday, December 24, 2012

Museum of Geometric an MADI Art


This summer I was and intern at the Museum of Geometric and MADI Art, in Dallas, Texas. The museum displays work from artists all over the world, and focuses specifically on geometric and MADI artists. The MADI movement began in the 1940s by Carmelo Arden Quin and continues today through out the world. Dorothy Masterson and her husband Bill opened the museum in 2003 after they had been introduced to the movement and had a growing collection of art from that genre.



I was assigned by my sponsor, Dorothy Masterson, to document any of the artwork belonging in the permanent collection that was not on the website. I also created artist biographies and formatted pictures of each artist for the ‘artist pages’ on the website: these pages included images of each artist’s work that belong in the permanent collection. Another task I had was to photograph events like artist talks, exhibit openings, and student workshops for the museum’s monthly newsletter. 

By the end of my internship I documented more than 195 pieces of work in the permanent collection for the website. I also documented the work of three artists who were in a show at the museum called Parallels and Contrasts. My images were printed in a pamphlet that people could take with them after they left the museum. And a picture I took of one of the artists, Albert Shaw, was used in an article in the newspaper mentioning the opening for the exhibit.


I was very pleased with the amount of work I was assigned although it was very challenging at times. I was on ladders most days- moving artwork around to photograph in one of the galleries and having to put back the artwork after I was finished for the day.

-Katy Wood '14, Photography