Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Friday, October 19, 2012

Museum of Cultural Arts Houston




My name is Anda Brown and I am a Junior Interdisciplinary Sculpture major.  I found out about the Museum of Cultural Arts Houston through a segment the founder, Reginald Adams, did on the news. I sent in my application and cover letter and requested a meeting when I was in town last summer, and was able to meet with them over Christmas break to secure the internship. 

MOCAH is a non profit organization committed to bringing art to the culturally underpriveledged, using art and creativity as tools for social awareness and community development. It is a museum without walls. They conduct both on and off site team building workshops and install large scale murals within the community among many other things.

Amanda Flores, Administrative Director, was my supervisior. She worked with me to perfect my skills, fulfilling the objectives I created while there.  While at my internship, I co-facilitated corporate teambuilding workshops and assisted the administrator in making project menus, brochures, and lesson plan examples. I also searched for RFQ’s, or calls for entry for public art projects, and created budgets and spreadsheets. 

I am most proud of the research and groundwork I layed for a large scale virtual mural project that will be happening through MOCAH soon. I am thankful I was able to have this responsibility and create connections to make such a big idea happen. My career goals are more extensive now, as MOCAH has opened up new possibilities of how art can relate to business and community involvement. I would love to work in this field when I first graduate, if not long term. I love the excitement and freedom to think big in public art. The most important thing I’ve learned is how to manage multiple tasks effectively and stay efficient. Time is money when you are working so it's important not to get stuck on any one thing to make sure everything gets finished.