Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Friday, October 27, 2023

Miami Swim Week Shows (MSWS)


The DCSW (parent company of MSWS) is a leading luxury fashion show production company that specializes in innovative fashion concepts, production, and execution. Independent fashion designers present their collections to an international audience of press, retailers, stylists, industry influencers, and buyers at MSWS. 

The Director of Creative Affairs for Miami Swim Week Shows (MSWS) reached out to me through LinkedIn after seeing that I directed the Benefit Fashion Show at MICA. She was my direct supervisor throughout my internship. Leading up to the show I was in charge of design and social media such as editing graphics for brands, designing booklets to be printed for the show, and planning / editing social media content.

MSWS covered my flight and stay during the week of the show, where I was lead photographer for the sponsors and event. It was my first time doing commercial photography such as food, product, and events. My days were very long, every hour I would be moving to a different location, shooting a different model, celebrity, or product. I would end the night very late to ensure all the images shot throughout the day were delivered by the morning. Because commercial photography wants to have an impact, I had to adjust my editing style to be more punchy: sharper contrast, saturated colors, and overall defined details. Overall I am proud of how quickly I was able to adapt to the environment I was in.

This internship taught me how important it is to be punctual, consistent, and have open communication. It was vital for my supervisor to state what exact shots are needed for the videographer and photographer. I also learned when to be loud because during the chaos of large events, I needed to make my voice heard to get the shots I needed. I learned how to socialize and network with other designers and guests that I documented, which gave me the confidence to step outside my shy bubble. 

Working with a real fashion show production helped me realize the fast paced environment was not for me. I prefer the editorial photography space, where the artistic vision / editing is solely within the hands of the photographer. However, this fast paced experience was still an amazing experience.The creative team became my close group of friends and the designers I met were so beyond talented and inspired me with their visions. The show as a whole was a surreal experience that allowed me to experience Miami for the first time.