Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Friday, October 20, 2023

Marine Lane

Marine Lane is a NYC design+branding studio founded in 2012. It is a place composed of highly inspired women, bonded by a shared love of design and belief in the power it has to connect, inspire, sell and amuse. To secure this internship, I went on the company's website, found their email and wrote them a cover letter expressing my interest in the position and introducing myself.

My supervisor was the Creative Director and responsible for giving me tasks as well as revising and troubleshooting them with me. Her role within the company is to coordinate all the design related things, making sure they are perfect to be sent to the client. My involvement in the projects depended on the demand that was needed that day. On Fridays, we had an overview meeting of what the next week would look like, but sometimes we had to play it by ear and change the plans a little. I worked on branding projects, social media, animations, website design, presentation decks, packaging, etc.

I am proud of going through the interview process with so many candidates and getting the job of my dreams in NYC. They liked my work so much that they invited me to work with them in the future, after graduating. I'm also proud for scoring the entrepreneurship scholarship, which made it possible for me to achieve all of this. 

I have learned that not always things are going to go as planned and what designers deem as perfect might not always be what the client wants in the end, and that is okay. During this experience, I believe I have definitely developed my communication skills – from presenting projects to clients, to explaining concepts/ideas to coworkers.

Since Marine Lane is women owned, it is very inspirational to see females thriving in the biggest city in the world, making amazing design products and getting recognition for it. It was incredible to see their business model and understand how they make it all work.