Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Monday, October 29, 2018

Quatrefoil Associates


My name is Viditya Voleti and I’m a senior Interactive Arts major. During the summer of 2018, I interned at Quatrefoil Associates, a private exhibit design firm located in Laurel, Maryland. I found out about them through the MICA Career Fair where I talked to Michael Burns and Manjit Kingra. We had a lovely talk, they seemed very taken by my work and I was really excited to try my hand at museum work. They had previously done an exhibit and renovation of one of the elephant stations at the National Zoo in DC, which I really loved, so I was excited to try and work there. After giving my resume, about 3 days later another founder of Quatrefoil called me up and asked if I wanted to do a tour and interview of the facilities, which went really well and they offered me the internship after we had talked.

Michael Burns ended up being my supervisor, as he is the Design Director of Quatrefoil Associates and had interviewed me, and seemed to be very interested in me and my work. However, I ended up working mostly under Chad Tyler, the Lead Designer and head of the “Experience VR” exhibit, which was the project I spent the vast majority of my time working on. My responsibilities in the “EVR” project was to create a proof of concept virtual reality game that can be played at the end of the exhibit, giving the visitors an experience that culminated the knowledge they learned from the exhibit. I was tasked to find an existing VR platform (game or toolset) that would allow easy creation and testing without coding or creating assets. I found the game Rec Room, a free to play VR game that has a heavy emphasis on community creations. I spent most of my time at work creating a 1 to 2 player cooperative game that really showcasing what being in virtual reality is like. Chad and Michael were very interested in getting me on this project because no one in office has a lot of game design experience and wanted my input and design abilities there.


I’m mostly proud of the game I was able to create. I feel bad about how long the process was, but Chad completely understands the time limitations, especially because I wasn’t able to work on the project outside of being in virtual reality, which can be very draining mentally. I hadn’t worked in VR before, and I’m very proud of what I’ve learned and what I was able to make with the resources available to me, and everyone who has played it seems to really enjoy it and say it’s well done. I really got comfortable working in this new medium and even saved up to get my own VR headset and computer to continue working on other projects in the future. I learned a lot about the process of making exhibits, and how it’s a very different beast (in terms of quality and time span) to work on museum-ready exhibits and installations.

In general I’m very happy with my time at Quatrefoil, if albeit not what I wanted to get out of the internship experience. I went in wanting to get away from video games and game design and do more interactive and physical design, but I’m still incredibly happy with the experience I got. I learned a new medium I’m now at least physically and design-wise mentally comfortable with, and I met some really wonderful people who seem happy to work with me in the future.