Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Friday, October 13, 2023

Cleveland Metroparks

This summer, I was fortunate to serve as a brand and creative services intern at the Cleveland Metroparks. The parks system has received the National Gold Medal for “best in the nation.” It includes 18 reservations or parks, golf courses, and a zoo as well as several other properties. Their mission is to protect nature, connect communities and inspire conservation in our world.

I became aware of the internship opportunity after spending a day with the Metropark's Marketing Team as part of a high school senior project. I applied for a creative services internship role later in the fall and after several interviews and sharing my portfolio, I landed the job.

My supervisor was the Director of Brand and Advertising at the Cleveland Metroparks. As a brand and creative services intern, I was assigned a series of impactful projects. I leveraged my graphic design and illustration skills to develop actionable concepts for the Metropark’s 2024 Calendar, 2024 Eclipse merchandise, commemorative seal art for each of the 18 reservations, and digital marketing collateral for events and exhibits.



I am most proud of the commemorative and collectible seal art. I have created something “on brand,” that will increase engagement with the parks, be scalable to other properties, and highly merchandisable for the Metroparks.

This internship opportunity has both clarified and affirmed my career aspiration to be a graphic designer and illustrator. Additionally, the role has helped me improve in and acquire many skills, including: project organization, project presentation, technical skills with Adobe Illustrator, photography, collaborating and contributing as part of a high performing team.

On the long list of things I have learned this summer, most important is the need to be intentional with my art. I learned that as an artist, I have an important role in protecting and enhancing a company’s brand and reputation. This means that while I can push boundaries with a concept, I must stay true to my client’s brand and brand guidelines. That said, I must also maintain energy, optimism and belief in my concepts which conveys to my clients, it’s an overall balancing act.