Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Friday, September 22, 2023

Globe Collection and Press at MICA



I have been interested in Globe since coming to MICA and I found out about their internship through a letterpress class that I took. My interest in Globe/letterpress is what pushed me to apply for the internship, as I was looking for a way to continue this enjoyment outside of class. Globe started out as a local letterpress shop and poster company, its collection (both posters and type) was bought by MICA in 2011 and has since been used to teach. On top of the collection being used in classes Globe still functions in the poster making world creating posters for different clients and events. 




My role at Globe was to help my supervisor with whatever projects needed to be done; whether it be designing/printing posters, packaging online orders, organizing the shop, or setting up for workshops. I have learned the steps for how Globe goes about creating posters, for any given poster we are working on I may help with the digital design work, setting the type, screen
printing the backgrounds, or letterpress printing the text. I have gained so much useful knowledge and experience at this internship, in terms of both printmaking and career experience.


Finding a career has always been a point of anxiety for me, I worry that I won't be able to find jobs in my field. Having had this internship experience I feel a lot more secure in the thought of graduating and finding a career, I just feel generally more prepared. I’ve really enjoyed and appreciated my time interning at Globe, I truly don’t think I could have had a better experience.