Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Friday, September 22, 2023

CPI Productions


I knew I was interested in doing some sort of architectural photography work after graduating from MICA, so for my internship I decided to research some architectural photographers in the area. I reached out to a few photographers whose work I liked to see if they would be interested in taking me on as an intern. Fortunately, the first person I reached out to accepted my request. 

CPI Productions is a commercial architectural photography company that primarily focuses on larger corporate buildings rather than smaller homes and other real estate. My direct supervisor’s role was head photographer and owner of the company. My day-to-day responsibilities included accompanying my supervisor to on-site photoshoots where I would assist with setting up scenes and camera angles, as well as setting up lighting. I also helped on the post processing side as we went through the editing process of the photographs taken on site. 



I am most proud of the work we produced at some of the larger, more grand spaces. I much preferred those to the smaller, less glamorous spaces; although, I understand that smaller jobs are equally as important to the business’s success. My biggest takeaway was the overall process in general and how to navigate a photoshoot and deal with clients throughout the process. Through this internship I have acquired new photo editing skills using Photoshop and
Lightroom. I have learned new techniques to utilize when shooting different types of spaces, and also how to speak with clients in a professional manner. This internship has allowed me to clarify that this is in fact the type of work I’d like to be doing for my career.