Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Maryland Art Place



While exploring opportunities through the MICAnetwork, I came across a call for internship applications at the Maryland Art Place. The internship description included experience in a non - profit gallery setting which guides the intern the various activities the gallery conducts which immediately thrilled me. Using this description I drafted a cover letter and edited my resume accordingly and emailed them the same. After a few weeks, I was asked to partake in an interview over the phone where I was asked questions about my previous experience and what I value about working collaboratively and also individually. At the end of the call, I was offered a position as an intern for the summer and then coordinated further over email to secure a weekly schedule.

I learned early on in the internship that Maryland Art Place was first formed by the Maryland State Arts Council who granted funds to form an organization that promoted contemporary art. They prioritize living, emerging and mid-career artists with the understanding that the organization plays a critical role in providing a platform for artistic growth within the contemporary, visual, fine arts realm. They support this vision through annual programs including exhibitions and provide the promotion of artwork sales outside that of a commercial gallery. Maryland Art Places still works with Maryland State Arts Council to form a Maryland State Artist Registry and Resource Bulletin which aides in empowering local artists.

Throughout the internship, I worked under the Registry Coordinator and Program Manager at the organization. I was awarded a wide range of tasks such as installing and de -installing exhibitions, packing artwork, working on resource bulletin, aiding the Maryland State Art Council’s registry, facilitating open calls, visiting other galleries, handling social media, gaining insight into finances and donations and speaking to artists. Some of the open calls and exhibitions I was involved in include Out of Order, Baker Artist Exhibition, IMPACT Hotel Indigo, and the MSAC Juried Show.


I am extremely proud of the fact that I was able to shift and alter my skills to manage every project that was given to me and be able to reach many other organizations and people as a result. By shadowing my supervisor and taking on her advice, I have learned that it is vital to take on every opportunity you can and apply to many open calls. She taught me not to be afraid of getting a rejection and always allowing my determination to help me stand out from the rest. The most vital aspect of this internship for me was the access to resources, open calls and artists I gained and the opportunity to learn about how a gallery can aid in showcasing emerging artists.


I am now confidently able to handle a company’s social media account, post and find artist opportunities and communicate with artists and other galleries. The internship has helped me solidify my dream of being an artist and one day having my gallery which advocates for emerging women in the arts. A thought which was shared with me by my supervisor and will stay with me is that persistence even in the lowest of times is what makes the difference and I hope to ensure my determination never falters.