Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Monday, October 29, 2018

Greenwich House Pottery


I found out about Greenwich House Pottery by asking my department chair, David East, if there were any internships that could improve my wheel throwing skills. David replied that there were not internships specifically for that, that he knew of, but he did send me some studios in New York, and Maryland that he knew were good for interns. I secured it by following the application instructions, which required me to send in my resume, cover letter, portfolio, and 2 references. I listed David, and Sarah Barnes, MICA Ceramics Studio Manager, both of whom have worked closely with me. I only put my best work in my portfolio. I also used my graphic design skills to make sure my application materials were well designed. Then, I went on GHP’s instagram and website to find out more about them to make my work and application more relevant.

GHP is a community organization that offers classes to people interested in ceramics. Danny Crump is the studio manager, so he also interviewed me. As a studio manager, he has to make sure the studio runs smoothly, and that requires him to: fix equipment, train interns and techs, manage and order supplies, and oversee the studio. As an intern, I bounced from every area. Some days I would be in the kiln room loading or unloading work. Other days I would mix glazes, or maybe mix and pug 300+ pounds of clay. There would also be administrative tasks like making signage for the studio, or making class chips, which helps with organizing student work. One project I really enjoyed was helping to make 3 clay pedestals for Rirkrit Tiravanija’s piece for the Ceramics Now exhibition at GHP. I had not touched clay for awhile since my summer study abroad program ended, and it was great to stretch some muscles. I am most proud of applying for this internship. Before this year, I had felt under-qualified for so many opportunities and jobs, which meant I did not apply for anything. Now I feel like I’ve overcome that feeling. 


Because of this internship I am more confident in my skills as ceramicist, and feel less anxious about my future. I have learned that no one really knows what they are doing, but those who work hard and continue making work will eventually have an opportunity come to them. I am so happy that I have learned how to talk to people, on a more professional level, since this internship. Before this summer, I always felt very nervous asking people questions, now I feel less nervous. This internship has showed me that I am able and willing to work in a community studio environment. This means that I am more prepared to be a studio tech after I graduate, which is one, of many, jobs that are available to ceramic majors.