Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Friday, April 27, 2018

Mattel



My name is Robin Krupnick. I am a senior Graphic Design major with an art history minor. During summer 2017, I had the amazing opportunity to intern with Mattel. Mattel is a global toy company that has held its standing as one of the top toy manufacturers since 1945. Under the Mattel umbrella are several brands, such as the entire Fisher-Price line (what I was specifically working on,) Thomas the Tank Engine, Barbie, Hot Wheels, and so many more.

I found this internship through a web posting on indeed. The irony of this internship is that I do not like children or working with children. I spoke to the Fisher Price headquarters in East Aurora first, then my direct supervisors, then a co worker and was eventually hired back in April. My position is the Digital Content Design intern, and I was working directly under Devin Flood who held a management position. Devin left Fisher Price after 7 long years to go to Harry’s Razor’s in my first three weeks. This meant there was much more responsibility on my end and I was looked at as a full time employee, doing real work for the company and the brand, rather than an intern doing, still challenging, but less important tasks. I worked under Dannielle Kryllios and Jessica Hernandez after Devin left.


I was involved in everything. My initial tasks were designing email blasts to go out to Fisher Price customers. These emails show new products but also feature parenting tips and activities. I started being brought on to bigger campaigns, such as the redesign of the Little People website and the launch of our Laugh & Learn Servin’ Up Fun Food Truck. Food truck was crazy because it was such a hit on the market and we wanted a cool, hipster-esque campaign to go along with it. I was also a part of the summer intern project, where we were tasked to concept, develop, prototype, brand, package, and market a new toy.

My biggest piece of knowledge that I am coming away with is how creatives work in a corporate setting. I love being in a corporate office. The structure of Mattel is a little crazy, they are going through a lot of changes right now with the brand identity and goals, but over all I understand how corporations work. It is very interesting to be in this side of the creative field. The connections I made are absolutely priceless and being able to work for such an established global company, even if it’s for children, was a dream come true. I felt very needed and respected in my team. Everyone seemed genuinely happy to help out with whatever questions I had, and I felt comfortable enough with everyone to always ask for help.

I am definitely most proud of the intern project, considering we only had three weeks to pull it together. Our Thomas Mini’s booster might be picked up as an actual product, which would be amazing. I have learned how to work in smaller teams in a corporate landscape and that truly all work in the real world is collaborative. This has helped me clarify my career goals because I am graduating soon and need to start thinking about if I want to go small studio or bigger agency, or corporate brand. Right now I am thinking going back to corporate. I would not have known I enjoy working for a corporation as much as I do if I had not taken this internship.