Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Creative Compositions Fine Art Photography


My name is Angelo Ries and I am a senior Photography major. During the Summer of 2017, I was a Wedding and Events Photography Intern for Creative Compositions Fine Art Photography, a small company based in Oyster Bay, NY. Before landing an internship, I knew I wanted to be working close to home due to convenience and working either on Long Island or in the Greater New York City Area, considering that’s where I will be once I have graduated; this way I can stay close with the connections I have made in the near future.


I contacted local photography businesses over the phone, email, as well as in person in the New York area asking if they were looking for interns for the summer and got lucky with Creative Compositions willing to hire me. They were the only organization that I had contacted in person and landed a position, which I believe is beneficial. The company specializes in weddings but also photographs engagements, christenings, mitzvahs, maternity, studio portraits, etc.


The company is co-owned by two individuals, one being my supervisor, Steve Bergano, who was the main photographer that I had assisted. My role in being an intern consisted of providing any additional help the company/photographer needed while learning in the process. Tasks such as setting up backdrops and lights in the studio, providing lighting assistance, editing and retouching past events/photographs in the studio - all while shadowing the photographer - has provided me with the hands-on learning experience that I had hoped for. Half of the time, I was working in the studio doing computer work and file management, while the other half I was traveling on jobs going from clients’ homes, churches, venues, beaches, and special locations.

If there were one thing I were to do differently, it would be to start interning earlier as an undergraduate. I am happy to have interned for this company, even if I may not become a specialized wedding photographer, because it has given me direction toward my career goals. I’m proud to not only have a better idea of how to work in a professional setting, but to also have learned about the business side of job searching and selling your work as an artist.