Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

SID LEE

My name is Aage Vetter, I am a Graphic Design major going into my junior year at MICA. During my second semester of my sophomore year, I was reading the ‘jobs’ email sent out by Brockett to the graphic design department. At the bottom she had listed a few summer internship openings, one of them being SID LEE in New York. This was an agency I had heard of in the past so I did more research on their work before quickly putting together a video and making my submission.

About a month after I had submitted for the internship, I was interviewed by Jen Adler in HR, who then told me a few weeks after the interview that I had been accepted! I was going to be one of only 2 design interns in the agency for 8 weeks. My supervisor for this time was Dannielle Hoodhood, Creative Resource Manager at SID LEE NYC.

SID LEE is an advertising agency primarily pushed and driven by creatives. They work with clients like Pepsi, Apple, Facebook, and Stella Artois to invent ideas, events, ads, campaigns, or whatever else the client asks of them. While working here, I was able to do some work each of these clients.

I was given much more responsibility than I had expected coming into the internship. I designed placemats and SID LEE team introductory cards for Pepsi, mockups and layouts for an Apple Music presentation of new ads, billboards, page layouts, and ideas for a new Facebook feature, and banners, layouts, mockups, deck presentations, type treatments, and logo lockups for Stella Artois and Ticketmaster. I did by far the most work on Stella Artois’ newest event ‘Le Savoir’. I am definitely the most proud of my 150 slide Toolkit I put together by myself for the event.

I learned how to work quickly and efficiently, as well and gained substantial knowledge about the capabilities of Adobe products I have been using for years. I have countless new contacts and my network has grown substantially. The office was so inviting and friendly and there wasn’t anyone in the office I felt uncomfortable asking for help, whether it was another intern, or one of the executive creative directors. I feel infinitely more confident going into the career and field I am studying for. I have learned so much about what goes into the job that I never could have in any classroom environment. I feel more prepared than ever to go into this coming year at MICA