Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Friday, August 23, 2013

Sacramento Music Circus

My name is Evyn Fong. I am currently a junior double-majoring in Illustration and Fibers with a concentration in Experimental Fashion. This summer I interned at Sacramento Music Circus, a Broadway-esque musical theatre company. They perform shows on a stage in the round, meaning that the stage is a round platform around which the audience sits.

I already knew about the company from friends and family, but wasnʼt aware of the internship opportunity until I was looking for costuming opportunities in California. I then sent in an application and was invited to an interview and portfolio review. I got an internship working in the costume department.

My direct supervisor was Jill Lane. While she is the head of the costuming department, she works mainly in management and with costume rentals. I helped document incoming and outgoing costumes with her, but I actually spent most of my time working in the sewing area alongside the stitchers, cutters, and drapers. I did all of the same jobs that the hired stitchers do, and would report back to the “first hands,” or leads in charge of sewing. They would tell me what to do, how to do it, and where to get materials. I also was able to work with the crafts department on accessories and armor for The Little Mermaid. In addition to this classic show, I also worked on two other productions--Grease and The Music Man.

My work at MICA in the Fibers department (and specifically for my concentration) served me well in this internship because I went in already having experience in the costuming field. This allowed me to complete tasks efficiently and comprehensively, which are skills that I am proud I developed further during my time at the Sacramento Music Circus.