Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Friday, August 23, 2013

Rand Diversified



My name is Alayna Citrin and I am a sophomore Graphic Design major with concentrations in Books Arts and Sustainability & Social Practice. During the summer of 2012, I secured an internship at Rand Diversified, working as a graphic design intern. I found the opportunity through my neighbor, who works in the marketing and sales division. He helped me set up an interview with the creative director, Rob Dudzinski, after which I secured a paid internship for the summer within the design department.

Rand Diversified creates point-of-purchase (POP) displays for companies to promote and sell their products. They are involved in many areas of design, including the creation of 3D models of the displays, the designing of the artwork and imagery, and the printing of comps for clients. Rand is unique because with its two manufacturing plants located in other parts of the country, it is often able to follow each project through from conception to distribution. I worked with the creative director as well as several other designers in the design department to complete several projects and help out around the office. I was given a variety of assignments and tasks such as designing artwork, creating renderings, photographing white models, prepping files for printing, and correcting images and other pieces of artwork.

Additionally, the two other interns and I were assigned a major project to collaborate on in a two-week time period. We had to research and propose a marketing relaunch for Excedrin, which has been off the shelves for several months. Using our individual skills we created a presentation including slides, handout sheets with thumbnails, messaging, renderings, and comps of displays. We presented it to employees at Rand as well as a representative from Novartis, who were all very impressed with the work that we did. Though we are not yet sure of the outcome, it is possible that our work could be used by Novartis in the near future on their new displays. I am most proud of this project because of our ability to collaborate using our different skills with a professional and successful outcome.

This internship also helped me to affirm my desire to work in branding and identity. Though I gained a lot of experience in the graphic design field, I found that I prefer working with companies from the start and building up a brand rather than using previously created artwork and reworking it for a new purpose.

One of the most important things I learned was how to work as a designer within an office environment. I am often very introverted and most of my graphic design work has been as a freelancer working in the comfort of my own room. I am so grateful that I was able to work with a staff of intelligent, friendly, and talented people who were all obviously very passionate about the work they do. I hope that when I am applying for jobs that I can find a company who believes in their work and supports their coworkers the way the people at Rand Diversified did.