Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Johns Hopkins Institute for NanoBioTechnology (INBT)

My name is Anny Lai and I'm a Junior Graphic Design major. Over the spring of 2013, I was a Motion Graphics intern for the Johns Hopkins Institute for NanoBioTechnology (INBT). I first learned about this great opportunity on the MICA network site.






The NanoBioTechnology sector is located in their Engineering Building of Johns Hopkins, where they specialize in Nano biomedical research and medicine. They have an animation studio where their goal is creating 3-D motion graphics to explain and illustrate their research. My supervisor, Martin Rietveld, was the Director of Animation at INBT. He is responsible for overlooking the entire animation process, such as interviewing the researchers, organizing the animation storyboard, and finalizing the animations.





The project I worked on was a research study on tissue regeneration using stem cells. I worked with Adobe Flash, After Effects, and Cinema 4D to design tiny elements, such as polymer strands and growth factors to create a visual story that would inform the viewer what the research was about. I was very happy to have the opportunity in working with the Director and being part of the animation process. I believe my biggest take away from this experience is all the new skills I've learned through these animation programs and how I can incorporate them into my work for the future. Through this experience at INBT, I feel motivated to explore the world of motion graphics and how I can use them as a graphic designer.