Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

David Edward



My name is Max Moore and I am a junior Environmental Design major. During my search for a part time job
for the summer of 2012 I received an email from Inna regarding a paid internship opportunity with David
Edward, a contract furniture company based in Baltimore. I replied to the email with my resume and received a call from one of the owners of the company two days later. I got a ride up to Baltimore the following monday for an interview and was hired on the spot. During the next week I secured a room with a friend for the summer and moved back to Baltimore to work 5 days a week.

For the first 8 months I worked in our design studio under Scott Mason, our senior designer. My first project was photo-shopping every variant of every piece we produce to fill out the pages of our catalogue. I started to take on more responsibilities creating photoshopped mock-ups of custom pieces for clients and rendering and texturing 3d models created by Scott. Eventually Scott began training me on Solid Edge, our CAD software.

My first big break at David Edward came when I was sent to Phoenix, Arizona to manage the set up of, and run, our booth at the largest healthcare design show in the country. Representing David Edward was a big challenge as an intern but I attempted to rise to the occasion and work outside my comfort zone. February of this year Scott Mason left David Edward and I accepted a promotion from intern to Design
Studio Manager. I took the position under the condition that I would have the flexibility to put my school work first and the arrangement has worked out well. Now I manage all prototype development, contracted designers, and the physical space of our in house design studio.


It has been a very interesting experience so far. I never expected to find myself in a company willing to give me a level of responsibility that truly challenges me. I love the work environment here and the people I work with. I intend to stay with David Edward for the next 2-3 years and take full ownership of our new product development. I still don't know if I want to stay in the Contract Furniture industry as my career, but either way the design, CAD, and business skills I am learning seems to be the best possible preparation for a more generalized career in industrial design.