Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Friday, August 23, 2013

Cadmium CD


My Name is Rachel Vrankin and I am a senior Graphic Design major. In the summer of 2012, I was selected to work with an interaction design company, Cadmium CD, based in Bel Air, Maryland. This small company creates mobile apps and many other tools to simplify the process of educational conferences for attendees and speakers. I was recommended by a friend to apply, so I submitted my resume and portfolio. I was asked to come in for an interview, during which I showed my work, and was hired that day.

My direct supervisor was Peter Wyatt, who owns the company with his wife, Michelle. They oversee everything that goes on at Cadmium CD, and Peter plays an integral role in the design side of things. I mainly worked with Peter and the company's developer, Airyo Shahry. Most of my projects revolved around the company's main product, eventScribe. This mobile app allows attendees to view and take notes on presentations they see at a conference, and a full summary of their activity can be displayed for them. I was responsible for redesigning a homepage and options screen for the app, and had to format each design for iPhone, iPad, and Android. I also completely redesigned a full website which is essentially a personal summary for conference attendees. This site allows them to view their notes, presentations, and data after a conference has ended.

I am most proud of the website for the personal summary that I redesigned. I was given a lot of creative freedom with this site and took some risks. Peter was very excited with the finished product, and I cannot wait to see the website go live soon.

Interning at Cadmium CD was a great experience, and I have learned a lot about interaction design. My experience this summer has really inspired me to work even more with web and interaction design, and to build and launch my own product in the future.