Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Friday, August 23, 2013

ABC Carpet & Home



Hello, my name is Alexandra Caivano and I am currently a junior in the process of changing majors from GFA to Fibers. Part of this decision is due to the internship I completed this past summer at ABC Carpet & Home in New York City. I was one of two interns who were part of the Visual team. I found this internship through a friend whose sister works at the company, and I went into the city as soon as I could when I was invited to an interview and portfolio review. I was offered the internship on the spot. I actually did not accept the internship right away because I had another interview at Jonathan Adler, but in the end I chose ABC (though I might intern for Jonathan Adler in the future).

ABC Carpet & Home is one of the premier interior decorating companies in the country and has been in business since 1897, when they only sold carpets. Since then the company has expanded dramatically, and focuses its attention on sustainability, fair trade, and products with a cause. Overall the company makes conscious decisions regarding products they buy and sell.

Throughout my internship I was constantly working, moving from one project to the next. There was never a dull moment. The first project I completed was for an Ingrid Michaelson event that coincided with a new line of couches called “Ghost.” I made a crochet piece that was recently re-invented for a fashion event hosted by Diane Von Furstenberg. I was self-guided for most of the internship, and I also worked on windows, displays, and research projects. My supervisor, Manena Frasier, is the visual director of ABC. Throughout the internship, she gave me helpful advice on projects and provided always-constructive criticism.

I think the best thing about this internship was that it opened up so many possibilities for me in the future. I never thought about a job in displays and merchandising until this summer and now it is something I could definitely see myself doing. I had been unsure before the internship about whether I should change my major to Fibers, but my experience at ABC made me realize that I really do have a passion for the industry and switching majors would indeed be the best course.