Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Friday, November 2, 2012

Anthropologie


My name is Sarah Bushin and I am a Sophomore Animation major. I am also enrolled in the 5 year Masters of Art in Teaching program at MICA. Over the summer of 2012, I interned for Matt Bier, the display coordinator for the Westchester, NY Anthropologie store. I found out about this internship through a friend who had done a similar internship at the Anthropologie in New Jersey. After I heard about the job, I picked up the phone and cold-called the Westchester store. After many attempts, I was able to get through to Matt, who chatted with me on the phone and then set up an interview with me. I nailed the interview and was offered the internship position on the spot!


At Anthropologie I worked with the visual team on various projects, the most significant of which was their summer window display. I got to help with all aspects of this display, which involved not only the planning, but also making the actual art that would be apart of the final display! I also helped out with the various everyday projects such as repainting walls, re-doing sections of the store, and even building new display pieces to display merchandise on.

Personally, I felt my biggest accomplishment was that through Matt’s teaching, I learned how to use a variety of tools that I used to be afraid of, such as electric drills, saws, and nail guns. Learning how to use these tools really broadened my skill set and could definitely influence my future art making.

I have many varied interests like animation, art education, and fine art, which make it hard for me to pinpoint a specific career I want to pursue. This internship helped me get a taste for what a career in a more commercial side of art would be like. I do not want to lock myself into any specific field, and I think doing an internship at Anthropologie helped me learn about a field I had very little knowledge of while teaching me important professional skills like collaborating with a creative team. I made so many great connections through this internship that I feel will be very valuable to me in my future, no matter which career I decide to pursue!