Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Polygraph Creative




Polygraph Creative is an award winning design studio based in Washington,D.C. that specializes in branding, product, editorial and environmental design. They have a reputation for finding truth and authenticity in their work by fusing creativity, passion and craft into their creative decisions.


Due to the lengthy and competitive nature of finding a summer internship position, I sought advice from my department chair. She recommended several local design studios and agencies, one of which was Polygraph Creative. Their website did not list any open positions, so I did not expect to receive a response to my cold email. However, one of the principal designers happened to stumble upon my recent packaging project on MICA's Instagram account and recognized my name upon reviewing my email. He replied a day later, and I went in for my interview soon after with my physical portfolio in hand. The next afternoon, I received the official offer and was welcomed to become part of the team. While working with these talented designers, I discovered that Polygraph’s love for the poetic stems from their appreciation for design that starts its journey outside of the computer. 

Each day varied as I worked on many different projects for several companies. My responsibilities ranged from designing graphics for product and environmental spaces, to creating artwork that would be used to create identity systems. In addition, I was introduced to branding for the food and hospitality industries. I experimented with pattern making and fine tuned my skills in typography. I learned how to integrate my love for analog art and design with functional logos and identity systems. Aside from acquiring skills in conceptual design and overall career skills, I also learned new technical skills in photoshop and indesign. I became more confident with laying out large areas of text, using Pantone colors, making my own mockups, overall communication, photography, and word play.


One of the highlights during this internship was my opportunity to create abstract artwork for the Washington DC National Portrait Gallery. To my delight, my work was approved for their 2019 gala brochure cover and inner panel design. I was also proud to be able to create patterns and original artwork that would be used for the identity system of a hotel. It was so encouraging to have real clients be excited about something I created.
This summer, my taste in design was elevated to new heights because of the time spent with top caliber designers and artists. The line between good and bad design has started to become clearer. My experience as an intern at Polygraph Creative was an incredible opportunity that helped open my eyes to the design world. This exposure has enabled me to feel more prepared to tackle the beginning of my career, as well as help highlight areas to work on during my final year at MICA.