Submitted by students, these are internship experiences told first-hand.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

ICmed



I interned at ICmed, a medical social app, for the Summer of 2017. My official position was classified as a “Digital Marketing Intern”. My responsibilities included curating and creating videos, animations, and occasionally illustrations, that would be used to promote the app on social media platforms. In addition, I also assisted in editing blog posts, making campaign emails, and participating in marketing meetings. Starting off in the beginning of the Summer, I only had a knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Premiere. I also some 2D Animation skills as well as Illustration skills. 


Over the course of the Summer, I learned how to intermediately use Adobe After Effects, to the point where I can make animations well over 2 minutes long. Seeing as I had little to no knowledge of After Effects beforehand I would call this a huge improvement, and a beneficial skilled gained. I also gained valuable people and marketing skills, by engaging in meetings which I had to work with a team of 12 people, comprised of CEOs, COOs, Accountants, etc. My favorite part of this internship, would be the team members I worked with as well as the opportunity to animate so much. Animation internships are a rarity so the fact that I was able to have some freedom in that department was very enjoyable. My least favorite part or what I didn’t enjoy was that this position was more like a Graphic Design internship or at least more suited for a graphic designer. I don’t have many skills in that department and it was frustrating to be asked to make content that would be in a graphic designer’s portfolio. Some of the obstacles that I had to overcome included, designing and branding the look of ICmed, catering to a large group of people, and having the ability to be tenacious when my ideas or work was shut down, or asked to be edited, even if I didn’t always agree. I would say overall this was a huge learning experience, as well as great way to make new connections. I would definitely do this internship again if given another chance.